Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pine Something or Another

Came across a pile of White Pine today. Ten 1"X 8"X 8'. Since I don't work with Pine very often, maybe this will be fun. I have something in mind but I'm sure it will reveal itself as we go along. I'll post more pictures as I make progress, so you can see it come together from the beginning to the finish. Stay tuned, you might enjoy this...
Pine_Cabinet_2_zps1a0e1ff0


Pine_Cabinet_1_zpsf1cb5c10




I started with the faceframe. After that was finished, I started on the rest of the carcass. Then it was just a matter of marrying the two together.

Pine_Cabinet_4_zps3dd23bd9




I started on the bottom end by making the drawer stretchers and guides. This is olde style construction, no drawer glides on this piece.

Pine_Cabinet_6_zpsfb0a6ad0




Once that was finished, I made up the drawers themselves. After some test fitting and some sanding they were ready for installation.

Pine_Cabinet_9_zps3212460c




Next came the top. After cutting and installing the top, the doors frames were made and test fitted.

Pine_Cabinet_10_zpse0d09dc6




Now I can concentrate on choosing colors.I'm thinking about an Earthy green color for the carcass, and a gunstock stain for the drawers, doors, and top, but that could change any minute now! Stay tuned!

1 comment: